With over 3000 seats, the Kreuzkirche Dresden on the southeast side of the Altmarkt is the largest church building in Saxony. It has also been the home of the Dresden Kreuzchor for almost 700 years. The church probably originated as a Romanesque basilica in the 12th century. Its name goes back to the 14th century, when a relic of the cross came to Dresden. During the Seven Years' War, the magnificent Renaissance church was destroyed in 1760 and rebuilt in classical architecture between 1764 and 1792. During the Second World War the Kreuzkirche was destroyed again and rebuilt in the years from 1946 to 1955.