The Kügelgenhaus - Museum of Dresden Romanticism in the Baroque Quarter in the Inner Neustadt focuses on the period from the end of the 18th to the middle of the 19th century. It is located in the former residence of the painter Gerhard von Kügelgen, who lived here with his family from 1808 to 1820. He was a portrait and history painter, professor at the Dresden Academy of Art and member of the Royal Prussian Academy of Arts. Goethe and Schiller had their portraits painted by him. The most important representatives of Romanticism came and went in his house. Writers such as Friedrich Schlegel and Ludwig Tieck, painters such as Philipp Otto Runge, Caspar David Friedrich and Carl Gustav Carus or composers such as Carl Maria von Weber, Clara and Robert Schumann and Richard Wagner met here and debated for hours. For all of them, Dresden was considered the ideal place of Romanticism. In the Kügelgenhaus, this cultural-historical epoch comes alive again. The three-story building was erected between 1697 and 1699, later topped up and topped with a turret. It is one of the oldest baroque town houses in Dresden with a richly painted wooden ceiling decoration that cannot be found anywhere else.