Dresden-Elbland: scenic long-distance cycle route
Let yourself be seduced by a special experience - a bike tour along the Elbe River. The Elbe Cycle Path is one of the most charming and varied cycle routes in Europe. From the Wadden Sea over the Elbandstein Mountains to Bohemia, 1,270 km of diversity await you. Here you can experience unique culture and pulsating metropolises, but also the almost untouched nature of the Elbe meadows. If you cycle all the way to Prague, you will also get to know a piece of the Vltava River. The gentle gradient makes for relaxing hours on the bike. The Elbe Cycle Path logo shows you the way. Eighty percent of the route is on an independent bike path. The surface is mostly asphalt and therefore good to very good to ride on. From Prague to the mouth of the Elbe River, there is only a slight difference in altitude.
Rest StopGlass production - Pasta Riesa
Take the A 4 from Bautzen or Chemnitz to the Dresden-West junction, and continue on the A 17 (towards Prague) to the Pirna junction.
Coming from Dresden on the A14, take the Mutzschen exit. Coming from Halle, take the Leipzig Nord-Ost exit.
If you are coming on the A9 from Berlin, exit at Coswig and then continue via Wittenberg. If you are coming via the A13, exit in Duben.
The closest free parking lot to the starting point is in Pirna Copitz on the Elbe (P7 in the parking guidance system of the city of Pirna).
Free parking can be found in the parking lot under the Elbe bridge (parking lot P3 in the parking guidance system of the city of Torgau).
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.