Sandstone, wine-growers, royal residences! This route has been voted Germany's most popular cycle route by the German Bicycle Association (ADFC) many times.
Distance 525 km
It is a star among the German cycle routes. Not surprising, considering the diversity of culture and nature that the Elbe river bank has to offer. The Saxon section is especially versatile: First up, the dramatic rock formations of Saxon Switzerland National Park. Then the lovely crests of the hills of the Meissen Spaargebirge mountains behind Dresden. And finally, Torgau, the Reformation town of Luther in the Northwest. In between, unspoilt nature and terraced vineyards alternate, surrounding peaceful village greens like Altkötzschenbroda and the picturesque old towns of Meissen and Pirna. The bandwidth of accommodations has everything from spa hotels to cosy holiday apartments with a family setting. Culinary offers range from hearty country inn cuisine to elegant star restaurants and, at the latest in Radebeul, many seasonal barn restaurants providing wine and cheese. Finally, Dresden’s advanced culture is the icing on the cake: The art collections in the Royal Palace and the Zwinger are practically en route. The Semper Opera can be admired while cycling by, and during summer, the route leads directly through the film festival at the Elbe river bank. What more could you ask for?
Update: November 25, 2021
33U 445894 5638048
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view