The "Königsweg" is a circular hiking trail within the Moritzburg cultural landscape. The 11 km route is easy, almost level and barrier-free.
In the last part of the hike, the King's Path leads to a landscaped garden with the Pheasant Castle, which is also called "paradise in a nutshell" because of the complete courtyard in a very small space. Built as a summer palace in rococo style on a hill, it forms a unique landscape ambience in combination with the lighthouse, harbor and large pond, which gives an idea of the opulent courtly festivities celebrated here. Resting places invite you to linger even today.
Safety informationThe trail is almost level and barrier-free. In rainy weather, some parts of the trail can be slightly muddy. More than 95% of the trail is on natural or gravel paths. There are benches at intervals of about 500 m and less.
Tips and hintsParking is available directly at the start and end points of the tour (castle parking lot).
In the Moritzburg-Information (100 m away, Schlossallee 3b) you can get the route flyer and maps.
Getting thereFrom Dresden: S 179 to Moritzburg, approx. 30 minutes by car.
From A4 and Dresden Airport: S81 to S179, approx. 15 minutes by car
From Meißen, Coswig: via S80 to Moritzburg, approx. 25 minutes by car
From Großenhain: via S81, approx. 30 minutes by car
ParkingCar: Moritzburg Castle parking lot and 5 other parking lots, fee required (follow parking guidance information)
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
EquipmentNo special requirements.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.